Several customers complained of fever, blurred vision and delirium after eating spinach contaminated with a plant with psychoactive properties.
The contaminated spinach was recalled from stores (Representational photo)
By India Today Web Desk: Several Australian shoppers hallucinated after consuming contaminated baby spinach that they bought from grocery stores. Health authorities told The Telegraph that they believe the symptoms were most likely caused by another plant entering the supply chain.
At least eight people fell ill in Victoria, while another 47 reported symptoms in New South Wales with 17 requiring medical assistance.
The toxic spinach was supplied by a farm in Lindenow, Victoria.
SPINACH RECALLED FROM STORES
As dozens of customers complained of fever, blurred vision and delirium, the contaminated spinach was recalled from retail outlets in Australia. A statement from Riviera Farms said the spinach was contaminated with a weed that could have health consequences if consumed.
It added, “As soon as we were advised of the possible weed contamination from one of our customers, we immediately advised them to remove our imported spinach from their shelves and contacted state and federal health authorities.”
The medical director of the New South Wales Poisons Information Centre, Dr Darren Roberts told the Sydney Morning Herald that people who ate the spinach remained sick for more than 24 hours after they fell ill. “The patients that have been quite unwell have been to the point of marked hallucinations where they are seeing things that aren’t there,” said Dr Roberts.
“No one has died, so we’re very happy with that, and we hope it remains that way, but these people are quite sick,” he added.
The Riviera Farms-branded baby spinach, which was available at Costco stores, was sold in a one kilogram plastic tub with a best-before date of December 16.