Here is a take a look at 5 prime moments from the match.
1) It was destined within the eyes of their followers to be an India versus Pakistan closing.
However no person informed openers Alex Hales and Jos Buttler as they placed on an impressive show of batting within the semi-final in opposition to India in one of many most interesting English shows of all time.
In entrance of a packed pro-India crowd on the Adelaide Oval, unbeaten man-of-the-match Hales blasted 86 off 47 balls and skipper Buttler struck 80 not out in a scarcely plausible 10-wicket annihilation.
It was notably satisfying for Hales, who solely returned for the World Cup after greater than three years within the worldwide wilderness.
2) Eire got here into the Tremendous 12 stage with a giant-killing status after they knocked out two-time champions West Indies.
However Andrew Balbirnie’s group weren’t carried out there as they upset pre-tournament favourites and eventual champions England in a rain-hit match.
Balbirnie led from the entrance with a brisk 62 in Melbourne to set a 158-run goal and England had been 105-5 when rain stopped play, 5 runs behind the DLS par rating.
“It is superb, sort of emotional,” mentioned man-of-the-match Balbirnie after one other well-known win.
3) Australia’s title defence received off to a nightmare begin and it ended up costing them a semi-final place.
The hosts, holders and pre-tournament co-favourites — together with England — suffered an 89-run drubbing by New Zealand within the first sport of the Tremendous 12.
It got here again to hang-out Aaron Finch’s males as they completed under New Zealand and England in Group 1 on internet run fee.
“We had been simply completely outplayed in all three sides,” mentioned Finch.
4) It was a sunny Adelaide morning when South Africa’s gamers began warming up for his or her must-win match in opposition to the Netherlands, however that was about the one shiny spot on a darkish day for them.
Colin Ackermann powered the underdog Dutch to a difficult 158-4 along with his quickfire unbeaten 41 after which the Netherlands bowlers labored their magic.
A strong-looking Proteas batting line-up crumbled beneath strain and their World Cup was over in a flash when all they’d wanted to do was win to clinch a last-four berth.
In a match stuffed with shocks, arguably this was the largest — and it handed Pakistan or Bangladesh that final semi-final place, which Babar Azam’s aspect grabbed.
5) India’s Virat Kohli got here into the match on the again of his maiden T20 century in September and enthralled over 90,000 delirious followers on the MCG with a match-winning 82 in opposition to arch-rivals Pakistan.
His two sixes off Haris Rauf on the finish of the nineteenth over went down in folklore as his aspect chased down their victory goal of 160 on the ultimate ball of a match that launched India’s marketing campaign.
“King Kohli” went on hammer three extra half-centuries as he beat former Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene’s whole of 1,016 runs to change into the very best run-scorer in match historical past.