Sports activities minister Anurag Thakur
The Union minister for Youth Affairs and Sports activities Anurag Thakur on Thursday gave a pointy response to the Pakistan Cricket Board’s assertion about its participation within the ICC World Cup in India subsequent yr.
- Sports activities minister Anurag Thakur has mentioned that India’s contribution to cricket can’t be ignored and that each one prime groups will take part within the ICC World Cup subsequent yr. His response got here a day after PCB issued an announcement about their participation within the occasion.
- “The ODI World Cup will even happen subsequent yr in India and all large groups across the globe will participate in it. As a result of, you’ll be able to’t ignore India in any sport. India has contributed loads to sports activities, particularly cricket. So, the World Cup can be organised subsequent yr, and it’ll grand and historic occasion. Residence ministry will take a choice as there’s safety considerations in Pakistan. It isn’t simply cricket,” Thakur mentioned throughout an occasion for the announcement of the Khelo India Youth Video games.
- It began after Asian Cricket Council chief Jay Shah mentioned on Tuesday that India is not going to journey to Pakistan for subsequent yr’s Asia Cup and that the event may very well be shifted to a impartial venue.
- Jay Shah’s assertion led to robust reactions from Pakistani cricket neighborhood. Pakistan has been internet hosting prime worldwide groups at dwelling since final yr. Groups like Australia and England have toured the nation lately.
- PCB got here out with a powerful assertion on Wednesday stating that Jay Shah’s feedback had been unilateral and nothing had been mentioned with the Pakistan Cricket Board.
- The board additionally acknowledged that shifting the Asia Cup out of Pakistan may divide worldwide cricket neighborhood and also can create doubts about Pakistan’s participation in subsequent yr’s ICC World Cup in India.
- “The general influence of such statements have the potential to separate the Asian and worldwide cricketing communities, and might influence Pakistan’s go to to India for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 and future ICC Occasions in India within the 2024-2031 cycle,” PCB mentioned in its assertion.
- India had final toured Pakistan for a bilateral sequence in 2005-06 below the management of Rahul Dravid.
- India and Pakistan haven’t performed a bilateral cricket sequence since 2012-13 when Pakistan had toured India for 3 T20Is and as many ODIs.
- India are slated to takeon Pakistan of their opening match of the ICC T20 World Cup in Melbourne on Sunday.
Subjects talked about on this article