Following reports that the US Department of Defence is considering paying for Elon Musk’s Starlink satellite network in Ukraine, the Tesla CEO said that so far, there has been no funding from the US government.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk (File photo)
By India Today Web Desk: Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Tuesday said the Starlink internet service in Ukraine has not received any funding from the US Department of Defence. This comes a day after reports emerged that the Pentagon is considering paying for Musk’s Starlink satellite network in Ukraine.
In a reply to a tweet, Musk said his rocket company, SpaceX is losing approximately $20 million per month due to unpaid service and costs related to enhanced security measures for cyberware defense. However, he added that “we’ll keep doing it”.
This comes after a CNN report said that Musk had claimed Starlink operations are becoming financially nonviable and requested the US government to chip in.
According to the CNN report, Musk’s SpaceX shot off a letter to the Pentagon last month, stating that it is no longer in a position to further donate terminals to Ukraine or fund the existing terminals.
However, in a later tweet, Musk said SpaceX will keep funding the services despite losses, citing the need for good deeds.
Oct 19, 2022